Housing and Public Works Minister Zakaria Taher Sumon on Friday said that no more high-rise buildings would be allowed to be constructed in violation of the law.
He expressed his firm stance during an exchange of views with officials of the ministry at the Cumilla Circuit House in the afternoon.
“It may not be appropriate to demolish buildings that were previously constructed in violation of the law. However, the owners of such illegal buildings can be fined,” the minister said.
He warned that the government would take a strict position to ensure that no one can construct buildings illegally in the future.
Regarding the relocation of Cumilla Central Jail, the minister said he shares the concerns of the city residents.
“The government is positive about relocating the prison outside the city,” he added.
The minister also pledged to take necessary steps to keep Cumilla city free from traffic congestion.