Football
Arsenal blows two-goal lead at Wolves, boosts Man City’s title hopes
Arsenal squandered a two-goal advantage to draw 2-2 with bottom side Wolverhampton Wanderers on Wednesday, giving Manchester City fresh momentum in the Premier League title race.
Arsenal led 2-0 through early goals from Bukayo Saka and Piero Hincapie, but Wolves staged a dramatic comeback after the break. Hugo Bueno reduced the deficit in the 61st minute before teenage debutant Tom Edozie struck in stoppage time to snatch a point at Molineux.
The draw leaves Arsenal just five points ahead of second-placed City, having played a game more, with the top two still to meet later in the season.
“We dropped our standards and got punished,” Saka said after the match.
Manager Mikel Arteta admitted his side fell below expectations in the second half. “Incredibly disappointed that we gave two points away,” he said, urging his players to improve performances amid growing pressure.
Arsenal, runner-up in the last three seasons, has now won only two of its previous seven league matches, tightening an increasingly unpredictable title race.
2 days ago
Mesut Ozil attends DU medical centre renovation inauguration
World Cup-winning footballer Mesut Ozil on Tuesday attended the inauguration of renovation works at the Shaheed Buddhijibi Dr Mohammad Mortoza Medical Centre of University of Dhaka.
The event was also attended by Bilal Erdogan, son of the Turkish President, along with senior officials from Turkey and Bangladesh.
The inauguration ceremony, held at 3pm, marked the opening of renovated facilities including a modern emergency unit, a state-of-the-art ambulance, X-ray and ECG machines, and other essential medical equipment at the university medical centre.
Former Germany midfielder Mesut Özil retires at 34
The renovation was completed at a cost of Tk 27.5 million with financial assistance from the Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency.
Vice Chancellor of the University of Dhaka Prof Dr Niaz Ahmed Khan presided over the ceremony.
Among others present were Turkish Ambassador to Bangladesh Ramis Sen, TIKA President Abdullah Eren, TIKA Bangladesh Coordinator Mohammad Ali Arman, teachers from different departments of the university and leaders of the Dhaka University Central Students’ Union (DUCSU).
2 days ago
Mourinho criticised after racist abuse claim involving Vinicius
Real Madrid defender Trent Alexander-Arnold has condemned the alleged racist abuse of teammate Vinicius Junior during their Champions League match against Benfica, calling the incident a “disgrace to football,” while opposition coach Jose Mourinho faced criticism for his reaction.
The match was halted for around 10 minutes after Vinicius reported alleged racist abuse by Benfica player Gianluca Prestianni to referee Francois Letexier. Vinicius and his teammates temporarily left the pitch following the complaint.
The Brazilian forward, who has previously spoken out against repeated racist abuse during his career, later posted on social media saying racists are “cowards above all.”
Benfica coach Mourinho claimed Vinicius had not celebrated his goal “in a respectful way” shortly before the incident at the Estadio da Luz, where Real Madrid secured a 1-0 win in the first leg.
“There is something wrong because it happens in every stadium,” Mourinho said, adding that incidents seem to occur wherever Vinicius plays.
Former Real Madrid midfielder Clarence Seedorf criticised Mourinho’s remarks, saying they risked justifying racial abuse. He stressed that racism can never be excused under any circumstances.
Speaking after the match, Alexander-Arnold strongly denounced the abuse, saying it overshadowed an outstanding performance and goal. “There is no place for this in football or in society,” he said, describing the incident as “disgusting.”
Mourinho later said he had been told different versions of events by Vinicius and Prestianni and insisted Benfica is not a racist club, pointing to club legend Eusebio as an example.
Former England forward Theo Walcott said Mourinho should not have commented publicly on the matter, calling it a poor decision.
Meanwhile, Real Madrid forward Kylian Mbappe urged strong action, saying Prestianni should not be allowed to continue playing in the Champions League if the allegations are proven. He called on UEFA Champions League authorities to take the matter seriously.
Prestianni has yet to respond publicly to the allegations.
With the second leg set to be played in Madrid next week, Walcott and other former players called for swift action by UEFA, stressing that incidents of racism must be addressed immediately to protect players and the integrity of the game.
With inputs from BBC
3 days ago
Girona shock Barca as Yamal misses penalty
Girona stunned Barcelona 2-1 in a heated Catalan derby on Monday as teenage star Lamine Yamal missed a first-half penalty, costing the visitors a chance to reclaim top spot in La Liga.
Barcelona now trail arch-rivals Real Madrid by two points in the title race after substitute Fran Beltran struck late to secure all three points for Girona at the Estadi Municipal de Montilivi.
The visitors briefly went ahead just before the hour mark when defender Pau Cubarsí headed home his first league goal from a cross by Jules Koundé. But the lead lasted only two minutes as Thomas Lemar equalised for Girona, tapping in from close range.
Girona completed the comeback in the 86th minute through Beltran, whose goal stood despite Barcelona protests over a possible foul in the build-up. A brief VAR review upheld the decision.
Earlier, Barcelona had squandered several clear chances. Yamal missed twice from close range before smashing a penalty against the post in first-half stoppage time.
The home side were reduced to 10 men deep into added time when Joel Roca was sent off for a reckless challenge on Yamal, but Barcelona failed to take advantage and could not find an equaliser.
The defeat is Barcelona’s second in a row in all competitions and their third league loss this season to regional rivals. Girona, meanwhile, ended a three-match winless run, easing relegation worries as they climbed to mid-table.
Barcelona’s winning streak in the league ends at three matches, with pressure mounting ahead of their next fixture as the title race tightens.
With inputs from BBC
4 days ago
VAR debate reignites as Premier League and FA Cup decisions spark controversy
The ongoing debate over the use of video assistant referees (VAR) in English football has intensified following several controversial decisions during the FA Cup fourth round and Premier League matches.
VAR, introduced to ensure accuracy in refereeing, was absent in the FA Cup until the fifth round this season, giving fans a glimpse of matches without technological interruptions. The weekend’s games, however, saw multiple contentious moments, including offside goals allowed and a penalty not awarded at Aston Villa, reigniting debate over the system’s impact on the sport.
Former Tottenham midfielder Danny Murphy said football might be better without VAR, arguing that it disrupts the game’s flow and delays decisions. Newcastle manager Eddie Howe acknowledged the tension, noting that while VAR improves decision accuracy, it can reduce the excitement for players and spectators. Aston Villa’s Unai Emery described the system as "necessary" to support referees.
At Anfield, Liverpool’s 3-0 win over Brighton featured further VAR controversy, with a young substitute’s goal ruled offside and a penalty awarded to Mohamed Salah sparking debate. Liverpool manager Arne Slot said VAR should be limited to clear-cut decisions, while Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola noted its benefits but remained uncertain on whether it improves the game overall.
Ex-players and former referees offered mixed views on officials’ reliance on VAR. Alan Shearer criticized referees for depending on the technology, while Shay Given and Graham Scott highlighted its role as a “comfort blanket” that aids decision-making.
Fans remain divided, with some claiming VAR has ruined football’s spontaneity, while others insist it is essential to ensure fair play and correct errors. The debate is expected to continue as English football navigates the balance between accurate officiating and maintaining the game’s traditional flow.
With inputs from BBC
5 days ago
Vinícius nets brace as Mbappé-less Real Madrid beat Real Sociedad to go top
Vinícius Júnior scored twice from the penalty spot as a Mbappé-less Real Madrid defeated Real Sociedad 4-1 on Sunday to move to the top of La Liga.
Superstar Kylian Mbappé remained on the bench after missing training sessions due to discomfort in his left knee, while Jude Bellingham was also absent with a hamstring injury. Despite their absence, Madrid delivered a dominant performance to extend their league winning streak to eight matches and go two points clear of Barcelona.
Madrid struck early when Gonzalo García redirected a cross from Trent Alexander-Arnold in the fifth minute. Real Sociedad equalized in the 21st minute after Mikel Oyarzabal converted a penalty awarded for a foul by Dean Huijsen.
Vinícius restored Madrid’s lead four minutes later, calmly converting from the spot after Jon Aramburu brought him down. Captain Fede Valverde added a third in the 31st minute with a powerful strike from outside the box.
Vinícius sealed the victory after the break with his second penalty, again following a foul by Aramburu, putting the result beyond doubt.
Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois made key saves to preserve Madrid’s advantage, while Dani Carvajal returned to league action around the hour mark after several months out.
Elsewhere, Borja Iglesias scored deep in stoppage time to earn Celta Vigo a 2-2 draw at Espanyol. Getafe beat Villarreal 2-1, while 10-man Sevilla held Alavés to a 1-1 draw.
6 days ago
Messi suffers hamstring strain, doubtful for Inter Miami’s MLS opener
Inter Miami forward Lionel Messi has suffered a strained left hamstring, casting doubt over his availability for the club’s Major League Soccer season opener against Los Angeles FC on Feb. 21.
The club confirmed the injury on Wednesday.
Messi, the league’s back-to-back Most Valuable Player, scored in a preseason match in Ecuador last weekend but was substituted about 12 minutes into the second half, reportedly due to discomfort in his hamstring.
“His gradual return to training will depend on his clinical and functional progress in the coming days,” Inter Miami said in a statement.
The injury also affects Inter Miami’s preseason schedule. What was originally planned as the team’s preseason finale will now take place about a week after their MLS opener. The reigning MLS Cup champions are set to face Ecuadorian side Independiente del Valle in Bayamon, Puerto Rico on Feb. 26. An open practice session is also scheduled as part of that trip.
Messi’s fitness will be closely monitored in the coming days as Inter Miami prepares to begin its title defense.
9 days ago
Grealish foot surgery ends Everton season, World Cup hopes dashed
England midfielder Jack Grealish has undergone surgery on a foot stress fracture, ending his 2025-26 season while on loan at Everton and ruling him out of contention for this summer’s World Cup.
Grealish, 30, sustained the injury on January 18 during Everton’s 1-0 win over his former club Aston Villa. The midfielder had featured in 22 matches across all competitions for Everton this season, scoring twice and providing six assists.
“Didn’t want the season to end like this, but that’s football. Surgery done, now all focus on getting back fit. I will come back fitter, stronger and better than before,” Grealish wrote on Instagram.
His strong performances at Everton had sparked speculation about a potential recall to the England squad. However, the injury makes World Cup selection impossible.
Grealish joined Everton on a season-long loan from Manchester City in August 2025 after falling out of favour at City, where he had won three Premier League titles, the Champions League, and the FA Cup since his £100 million move from Aston Villa in 2021. He made just seven league starts for City last season and was excluded from the Club World Cup squad in the United States.
“The support I’ve received at this incredible club has meant the world to me,” Grealish added. “The staff, teammates and fans have been amazing. I’ll be backing the lads all the way and doing everything I can to get back as soon as possible.”
Everton fans and football observers expressed sympathy for the midfielder, who had been pivotal in the team’s campaign under caretaker manager Lee Carsley since October 2024.
With inputs from BBC
11 days ago
Man United make it four straight wins under Carrick; Arsenal go nine points clear
Manchester United continued their fine run under Michael Carrick with a 2-0 win over Tottenham on Saturday, making it four Premier League victories in a row and boosting hopes of a return to the Champions League.
United, who struggled earlier this season, look revived since Carrick took over as head coach last month. The win at Old Trafford lifted the club to fourth place with 44 points, already surpassing last season’s total of 42.
Bryan Mbeumo and captain Bruno Fernandes scored one goal each in either half. Tottenham’s task became harder when skipper Cristian Romero was sent off in the 29th minute. Fernandes’ late strike marked his 200th goal involvement since joining United in 2020.
United captain Fernandes praised Carrick’s impact, saying the former midfielder understands the club’s culture and has given players more responsibility. Carrick replaced Ruben Amorim and was initially appointed until the end of the season, but his strong start has strengthened his case for the job on a permanent basis.
At the top of the table, Arsenal extended their lead to nine points after a comfortable 3-0 home win over Sunderland. Substitute Viktor Gyokeres scored twice after coming on in the 60th minute, taking his season tally to 13 goals. Martin Zubimendi opened the scoring in the first half.
Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta said the title race is far from over, despite bookmakers already paying out on his team winning their first league title since 2004.
Second-placed Manchester City face a tough test away at Liverpool on Sunday, while third-placed Aston Villa slipped further back after a 1-1 draw at Bournemouth.
Chelsea moved up to fifth after beating bottom side Wolves 3-1. Cole Palmer scored a first-half hat trick, including two penalties, becoming the first player to net three first-half hat tricks in Premier League history.
Elsewhere, West Ham boosted their survival hopes with a 2-0 win at Burnley, while Newcastle’s poor form continued with a 3-2 home defeat to Brentford. Everton came from behind to beat Fulham 2-1 away.
13 days ago
Ronaldo misses back-to-back games for Al-Nassr
Cristiano Ronaldo missed a second straight match for Al-Nassr as questions continue over his future at the Saudi club.
Al-Nassr beat rivals Al-Ittihad 2-0 in the Saudi Pro League on Friday, scoring two late goals through former Liverpool star Sadio Mane and Angelo Gabriel. Ronaldo was not included in the squad for the match.
During the game, some home supporters showed their backing for the Portuguese star by holding yellow cards with his name and number seven in the seventh minute.
Ronaldo, now 41, also sat out Al-Nassr’s 1-0 league win over Al-Riyadh on Monday.
Portuguese outlet ‘A Bola’reported that Ronaldo refused to play after becoming unhappy with the way the club is being run by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF).
In response, the Saudi Pro League told BBC Sport that Ronaldo has played a key role in raising the club’s profile and goals, but added that “no individual however significant determines decisions beyond their own club”.
Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr in December 2022 after leaving Manchester United and became the highest-paid footballer in history, earning about £177 million a year. The club, which has won the Saudi Pro League 10 times, described his signing as “history in the making”.
Cristiano Ronaldo turns 41: How the superstar built a brand beyond football
However, since joining, Ronaldo has won only one trophy the Arab Club Champions Cup in 2023. He signed a new two-year contract with Al-Nassr in June 2025.
Both Al-Nassr and league leaders Al-Hilal are owned by the PIF.
BBC Sport reported that Ronaldo may be frustrated by Karim Benzema’s recent move to Al-Hilal. Benzema scored a hat-trick on his debut in a 6-0 win on Thursday.
After 20 matches, Al-Nassr sit second in the table, just one point behind Al-Hilal.
14 days ago