Entertainment
Wounded Ukrainian veterans in Kyiv transform epic poetry into powerful war testimony
In war-hit Kyiv, wounded Ukrainian veterans are turning classic poetry into a powerful stage performance that reflects their own wartime experiences and resilience.
The play, directed by Olha Semioshkina, is based on “Eneida” by Ivan Kotliarevskyi, an 18th-century adaptation of Virgil’s epic. With the war nearing its fourth year after Russia’s full-scale invasion, the production blends myth with modern reality.
The cast includes veterans in their 20s to 60s who returned from the front with amputations, severe burns and vision loss, as well as civilians affected by the conflict. Many had never acted before. It took over a year of preparation for the premiere at the National Academic Molodyy Theatre.
Semioshkina said the team first focused on basic movement and communication, even practicing without prosthetic limbs to help actors reconnect with their bodies. Her idea was simple: every man represents Aeneas and every woman represents Dido — symbols of struggle, loss and the search for home.
During rehearsals, veteran Yehor Babenko, who suffered severe burns early in the invasion, used humor while delivering lines that echoed his own injuries. He said theatre has helped him heal both mentally and physically, boosting confidence and self-expression.
In the final act, actors step out of character to share their real stories — from losing limbs in drone attacks to living under occupation. Veteran medic Andrii Onopriienko, who lost his sight in an artillery strike near Avdiivka in 2023, narrated much of the performance in a deep voice, later joining the cast in song.
The realities of war were never far away. Before the show, audiences were warned about possible air raid sirens and blackouts. During one performance, the power went out, but actors continued using flashlights as the audience stayed, some in tears.
The cast received a standing ovation when the curtain fell, underscoring the play’s message of courage and hope. Semioshkina urged veterans watching from home to step forward, live fully and stay connected despite the scars of war.
5 hours ago
Vijay Deverakonda’s Hyderabad home illuminated ahead of wedding with Rashmika Mandanna
Actor Vijay Deverakonda’s Hyderabad residence was seen lit up ahead of his highly anticipated wedding with actress Rashmika Mandanna, fueling excitement among fans.
The couple is reportedly set to marry on February 26 in Udaipur in a private ceremony with close family and friends. Although both Vijay and Rashmika have not publicly confirmed the venue, social media has been buzzing with speculation, especially after a wedding invitation signed by the duo went viral earlier this week.
The invite read, “With the love and blessings of our families, Rashmika and I will be getting married on 26.02.26 in a small and intimate ceremony. Your presence and blessings would make this occasion even more special for us.” It also included details of a wedding reception in Hyderabad on March 4 at Taj Krishna, Banjara Hills.
On Monday, Rashmika, spotted at Mumbai airport, was wished “Shadi mubarak ho (congratulations on your wedding)” by a paparazzo, to which she replied, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
The couple got engaged in an intimate ceremony on October 3 last year, sources told NDTV. Rashmika had shared pictures in a saree with a tilak on her forehead, hinting at the engagement. Later, she showcased her engagement ring on a reality show.
Vijay and Rashmika’s relationship reportedly began in early 2023 after a vacation in the Maldives. Since then, the pair has often been spotted together, and fans have followed their journey closely. The two first met during the shoot of ‘Geetha Govindam (2018)’ and later collaborated on ‘Dear Comrade (2019)’.
From attending film promotions together to celebrating birthdays in exotic locations, the couple has remained in the public eye, keeping fans eager for every update ahead of their wedding.
With inputs from NDTV
2 days ago
New BBC show sees Bear Grylls guiding families to heal relationships
TV adventurer Bear Grylls is set to help families mend broken relationships in a new BBC reality show filmed in the rugged Welsh wilderness.
The BBC One series, Wild Reckoning, will see families, couples and siblings leave behind their daily comforts to take part in a range of physical and emotional challenges aimed at repairing deep personal conflicts.
Grylls said working on the show had been one of the most meaningful experiences of his career, as it deals with “real lives” and “real emotions.” He believes the wild landscape of north Wales provides a powerful setting for people to face their issues directly, as “there’s nowhere to hide” in the outdoors.
In the programme, Grylls travels from his private island, St Tudwal’s West, located just off the Llŷn Peninsula in Gwynedd, to the mainland. He is joined by a team of mediators, psychologists and survival experts who guide participants through the process.
Harry Styles recalls feeling alone after One Direction split
The 16-part series focuses on conflicts rooted in grief, trust issues, sibling rivalry and feelings of abandonment. Grylls said the wilderness removes everyday distractions such as phones and the option to simply walk away, forcing people to confront their emotions and listen to each other.
He acknowledged that complex problems, including childhood trauma, cannot be fully resolved in just a few days. However, he hopes the experience will help participants begin their healing journey and open honest conversations about redefining their relationships.
According to Grylls, sometimes the hardest step is simply sitting together calmly, listening without arguing, and expressing a desire to rebuild the bond.
With inputs from BBC
3 days ago
The Godfather actor Robert Duvall dies at 95
Oscar-winning Hollywood actor Robert Duvall, best known for his roles in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, has died at the age of 95.
Duvall died peacefully at his home in Middleburg, Virginia, on Sunday, according to a statement issued by his public relations agency on behalf of his wife, Luciana. She described him as not only an award-winning actor and filmmaker but also her entire world, praising his deep commitment to his craft and his love for storytelling, food and lively conversation.
Tributes quickly poured in from across the film industry. Fellow Godfather star Al Pacino said it was an honour to work with Duvall, calling him a natural actor whose talent and understanding of the art would never be forgotten.
Over a career spanning more than six decades, Duvall became renowned for portraying strong, often hard-edged characters. He played mafia consigliere Tom Hagen in The Godfather and The Godfather Part II, and a commanding US army officer in Apocalypse Now, directed by Francis Ford Coppola. His brief but memorable performance in Apocalypse Now, including the iconic napalm line, became one of cinema’s most quoted moments.
Coppola described Duvall’s death as a major loss, saying he was an essential part of American Zoetrope from its earliest days. Duvall later revealed that he deliberately toned down his Apocalypse Now character to make it more believable.
Duvall received seven Oscar nominations during his career and won best actor in 1983 for his role as a troubled country singer in Tender Mercies. His wide-ranging filmography also included Network, The Great Santini, The Handmaid’s Tale and The Judge. He often said his favourite role was Texas Ranger Augustus McCrae in the television miniseries Lonesome Dove.
He made his screen debut in To Kill a Mockingbird, delivering a powerful, wordless performance as Boo Radley that earned lasting acclaim. Actor Alec Baldwin later said the role was emotionally devastating despite the absence of dialogue.
Beyond acting, Duvall also wrote and directed films, including The Apostle, in which he played a conflicted evangelical preacher. Colleagues and co-stars remembered him not only for his immense talent but also for his warmth, humour and love of simple pleasures.
In a closing message, his wife thanked fans for their support over the years and asked for privacy as the family remembers and celebrates a life that left a lasting mark on cinema.
With inputs from BBC
4 days ago
Harry Styles recalls feeling alone after One Direction split
Singer Harry Styles has opened up about feeling "very alone" after One Direction split in 2015, as he began his solo career.
In a recent interview with People magazine, the 32-year-old said performing alone was a big change from being in a boy band with four other members. He recalled feeling unsure on stage and carrying all the pressure himself.
Styles released his debut solo album in 2017, marking a new direction in his music. He said he wanted to explore his creativity while not disappointing fans who had supported him.
The three-time Grammy winner also spoke about taking his first long break after completing the 22-month "Love on Tour" in July 2023. He spent time in Rome, enjoying simple moments like sitting in a cafe, which helped him slow down and focus on life outside music.
Styles said the break gave him personal freedom and shaped his music. He is preparing to release his fourth studio album, All the Time. Disco, Occasionally., on March 6. He will also perform in a 50-show global tour across seven cities from May to December 2026.
With inputs from BBC
5 days ago
Hollywood urges ByteDance to halt AI tool over copyright concerns
Major Hollywood studios have demanded that ByteDance, the Chinese owner of TikTok, immediately stop its new AI video tool, Seedance 2.0, over alleged copyright violations involving clips based on existing films and TV shows.
The Motion Picture Association (MPA), representing leading US studios including Netflix, Paramount Pictures, Amazon MGM Studios, Sony Pictures, Universal Studios, The Walt Disney Studios, and Warner Bros Discovery, said the AI service engaged in “unauthorised use of US copyrighted works on a massive scale” in a single day.
Seedance 2.0 allows users to generate highly realistic clips from short text prompts, including scenes featuring actors such as Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt, as well as reimagined TV characters. The tool has gone viral on social media, with users posting AI-generated scenes based on franchises like The Lord of the Rings, Seinfeld, Avengers, and Breaking Bad.
MPA chairman Charles Rivkin criticized ByteDance for operating “without meaningful safeguards against infringement,” warning that the tool undermines copyright protections and threatens millions of jobs in the US entertainment industry.
ByteDance said it has suspended the ability to upload images of real people and will implement robust monitoring to ensure compliance with intellectual property laws. The company described the AI-generated content as part of a limited pre-launch testing phase and stressed that it takes potential copyright issues seriously.
Hollywood creators have expressed concern over the technology’s implications. Deadpool writer Rhett Reese described the AI-generated fight between Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt as “professional” and said the industry could face a major disruption. Heather Anne Campbell, writer for Saturday Night Live and Rick & Morty, noted that while AI allows limitless creative possibilities, original ideas remain challenging, comparing many outputs to fan fiction.
The rapid rise of AI-generated video is prompting urgent discussions in the US entertainment sector on how to balance innovation with copyright protection and preserve jobs in the creative industry.
With inputs from BBC
5 days ago
‘The Simpsons’ creators reflect on legacy as show reaches 800 episodes
After 800 episodes, 37 seasons and nearly four decades on air, the creators of The Simpsons are looking back at the choices that helped turn the quirky animated family into a global cultural icon, and looking ahead to the show’s future.
Executive producer Al Jean said the show’s decision to avoid an overarching storyline helped preserve its longevity, allowing each episode to reset to “square one.” Current showrunner Matt Selman noted that the characters’ refusal to age gives writers creative freedom, even as it raises questions about how much emotional memory they should carry after hundreds of storylines.
Series creator Matt Groening described reaching the milestone as both a triumph and an ongoing creative challenge, saying the team continues to refine animation style and storytelling to keep the show fresh.
Voice actor Nancy Cartwright, who has voiced Bart Simpson since the beginning, recalled she originally auditioned to play Lisa but instead asked to voice Bart — a decision Groening approved immediately. Nearly four decades later, she said the role has become inseparable from her life.
The show, which began as shorts on “The Tracey Ullman Show” in 1987, initially faced controversy for its rebellious humor. Groening said that early criticism actually helped boost its popularity, while the creative team quickly decided the show would primarily target adults, enabling a wider range of jokes.
Creators also dismissed claims that the show predicts real-world events, with Jean calling such “predictions” accidental and Selman blaming many viral examples on AI-generated edits.
Now streaming on Disney+, the series has reached a new generation of viewers and gained flexibility in episode timing beyond traditional commercial breaks.
Despite its long run, producers say there is no plan to end the show soon, with Jean expressing confidence that “full steam ahead” could carry it at least to Season 40 — and beyond.
6 days ago
O’Romeo Day 1 Box Office: Shahid Kapoor’s film outperforms Deva and Teri Baaton Mein Aisa Uljha Jiya
Shahid Kapoor and Triptii Dimri’s O’Romeo had a steady opening at the Indian box office on Friday, earning early praise for its performances and direction.
Box Office Performance
According to preliminary estimates from Sacnilk, the film collected around ₹8.25 crore nett on its first day. Directed by Vishal Bhardwaj, the romantic-action drama recorded a theatrical occupancy of 14.86% on Day 1.
In comparison with Kapoor’s recent films, O’Romeo opened stronger than Deva (₹5.50 crore), Teri Baaton Mein Aisa Uljha Jiya (₹6.70 crore), and Jersey (₹3.2 crore). While not a blockbuster start, it ranks among Shahid Kapoor’s better opening-day performances in recent years.
Cast and Crew
The film also stars Nana Patekar, Avinash Tiwary, Vikrant Massey, and Tamannaah Bhatia in pivotal roles, and is produced by Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment.
Before the release, Vishal Bhardwaj shared an emotional note on Instagram expressing pride in the project, saying it made him realise his capacity for both “love and violence.” He wrote, “Before the critics speak and before the box office delivers its verdict, I feel compelled to share how deeply proud I am of this film. Before the accolades or the criticism arrive, I must thank, from the deepest part of my being, all my HODs who gave far more than was ever asked of them…”
Critical Response
Film critic Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV rated the film 3.5 out of 5 stars, describing it as “a vivid, visceral, and visually varied film” that uses music as a narrative backbone. He added that it tells the story of flawed characters struggling with adversaries and inner conflicts, with few predictable moments.
Source: NDTV
7 days ago
Rose Byrne to be honored as Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year at Harvard
Australian actor Rose Byrne, fresh from winning a Golden Globe and earning an Oscar nomination for her lead role in “If I Had Legs I’d Kick You,” will be honored as the 2026 Woman of the Year by Harvard University’s Hasty Pudding Theatricals on Friday.
Byrne, known for her roles in films such as “Bridesmaids,” “Neighbors,” “Insidious” and the TV series “Damages,” will join a celebratory parade through the streets of Cambridge, Massachusetts. She will later receive the traditional pudding pot award at a roast ceremony and attend a performance of the troupe’s 177th production, “Salooney Tunes.”
In a review of the film, AP critic Jocelyn Noveck said Byrne was given “a chance to display versatility and grit in surely the toughest dramatic role of her career.”
Sonam Kapoor hosts heartfelt Baby Shower, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Anil Kapoor among guests
Actor Michael Keaton, famed for “Batman,” “Birdman,” “Beetlejuice” and “Spotlight,” was named the 2026 Man of the Year and received his pudding pot on Feb. 6.
“We are thrilled to honor Rose Byrne as our Woman of the Year,” Hasty Pudding Theatricals President Daisy Nussbaum said in a statement, noting that her recent Golden Globe win and Oscar nomination made the recognition fitting.
The Hasty Pudding Theatricals is the oldest theatrical organization in the United States and among the oldest globally. Since 1951, it has presented the annual award to leading actresses including Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Scarlett Johansson and Annette Bening. Last year’s recipient was “Wicked” star Cynthia Erivo.
Byrne has also appeared in “Juliet, Naked,” “Get Him to the Greek” and “28 Weeks Later.” Her stage work includes productions at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and she is set to star opposite Kelli O’Hara in the Broadway revival of “Fallen Angels” beginning in March.
Ireland introduces world’s first permanent basic income scheme for artists
8 days ago
Sonam Kapoor hosts heartfelt Baby Shower, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Anil Kapoor among guests
Sonam Kapoor, soon to welcome her second child, shared a glimpse of her Seemantonnayan ceremony, describing it as an emotional and deeply meaningful celebration.
Taking to Instagram, Sonam posted a reel featuring family and close friends, including Anil Kapoor, Arjun Kapoor, Kareena Kapoor Khan, Shabana Azmi, Khushi Kapoor, Masaba Gupta, Anupam Kher, and Sanjay Kapoor.
She reflected on the significance of Seemantonnayan, the third of the sixteen sacred sanskars in Sanatan Dharma, commonly known as the “hair-parting ritual,” which honours the mother and the life she carries. The ceremony is also celebrated in different regions of India under names such as Godh Bharai, Shrimant, Dohale Jevan, Shaad, Seemantham, Valaikappu, Pulikkudi, and Sadhabhakshan, with the essence remaining the same: blessing, love, protection, and celebration of new life.
The ritual involves the husband parting the hair of the expecting mother to promote the healthy development of the fetus, ensure maternal mental well-being, and ward off negative energies.
Sonam expressed that the presence of her closest friends and family made the occasion even more special. “This ancient ritual felt even more meaningful because all my best friends in the world showed up for me. My whole family did too. I felt so held. And to my mum, my mother-in-law, and my sister — thank you for organising everything and making me feel so deeply loved, cherished and celebrated. I will never forget this. A lap full of blessings. A heart overflowing with gratitude,” she wrote.
In November 2025, Sonam had announced her second pregnancy. Recently, she shared an Instagram picture of herself in a vibrant hot-pink wool suit, captioned simply, “MOTHER.”
Sonam Kapoor married businessman Anand Ahuja in a lavish ceremony in May 2018, after years of dating. The couple welcomed their first child, a son named Vayu, in August 2022.
9 days ago