US strike
Iran’s supreme leader says any US strike would ignite regional war
Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei on Sunday warned that any military attack by the United States would spark a “regional war,” sharply escalating rhetoric amid rising tensions following Washington’s threats over Tehran’s violent crackdown on nationwide protests.
The warning, delivered as US aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln and accompanying warships operate in the Arabian Sea, marked Khamenei’s most direct threat so far. The vessels were deployed by President Donald Trump after Iran’s security forces moved forcefully to suppress weeks of unrest across the country.
It remains uncertain whether Washington will resort to military action. Trump has repeatedly said Iran is interested in negotiations, while also raising concerns about Tehran’s nuclear programme as a key unresolved issue.
Addressing a crowd at his Tehran compound during events marking the anniversary of Iran’s 1979 Islamic Revolution, the 86-year-old leader accused the United States of seeking to dominate Iran’s natural resources.
“The Americans must know that if they start a war this time, it will be a regional war,” Khamenei said. He added that Iran did not seek conflict, but warned that any attack or harassment would be met with a severe response from the Iranian nation.
Trump, asked about the warning, told reporters that US naval forces were positioned nearby and expressed hope for a negotiated settlement. He said if no deal was reached, it would become clear whether Khamenei’s threat was credible.
Khamenei also hardened his stance on the protests, describing them as “sedition” akin to a coup attempt. While he had earlier acknowledged that some protesters were driven by economic grievances, he now accused demonstrators of targeting state institutions, security forces, banks and religious sites in an effort to destabilise the country.
Human Rights Activists New Agency, a US-based group that tracks developments inside Iran, said more than 49,500 people have been detained since the protests began in late December and estimated at least 6,713 deaths, mostly among demonstrators. The Associated Press has not been able to independently verify the figures, citing Iran’s restrictions on internet access.
Iranian authorities have put the death toll far lower, reporting 3,117 fatalities as of Jan 21, including civilians and security personnel, while labelling others “terrorists.” Past unrest has seen official figures widely questioned.
Meanwhile, Iran had planned live-fire military drills in the Strait of Hormuz, the strategic waterway through which about one-fifth of the world’s oil supply passes. The US military warned Tehran against threatening American forces or disrupting commercial shipping during the exercises.
In a separate development, Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said Tehran now considers all European Union militaries to be terrorist organisations. The move came after the EU designated Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a terror group over its role in the crackdown.
Qalibaf, a former Guard commander, made the announcement as lawmakers wore Guard uniforms in solidarity. The designation is largely symbolic, mirroring a 2019 Iranian law used after the United States labelled the Guard a terrorist organisation.
Lawmakers later chanted anti-US and anti-Israel slogans in parliament.
Trump has outlined two red lines that could trigger US military action: the killing of peaceful protesters or mass executions of detainees. He has also renewed focus on Iran’s nuclear programme, which the US struck during a brief war with Iran last June.
Speaking over the weekend, Trump declined to say whether he had decided on a course of action, but said Iran was “seriously talking” to the United States about reaching a deal to prevent it from acquiring nuclear weapons.
20 days ago
Worry spreads in Middle East over potential US strike on Iran
A month after nationwide protests erupted in Iran, fear and uncertainty are spreading across the Middle East over a possible U.S. military strike, as regional diplomacy intensifies to avert a crisis.
Iranian officials engaged with neighboring countries on Wednesday following signs that Washington may consider military action. Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates have both ruled out allowing their airspace to be used for any such attack. Meanwhile, the U.S. has deployed the USS Abraham Lincoln and several guided missile destroyers to the region, capable of launching strikes from the sea.
U.S. President Donald Trump has not yet decided on using force, although he has warned against the killing of peaceful demonstrators and mass executions of detainees. Activists say at least 6,221 people have died in Iran’s crackdown on protests, with thousands more injured or arrested.
Amid internet restrictions, Iranians remain anxious, watching videos of shootings and fearing further escalation while the country’s economy deteriorates. “I feel my generation failed to teach the younger ones,” said Mohammad Heidari, a Tehran high school teacher.
Diplomatic contacts intensified this week. Egypt’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty spoke with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and U.S. Middle East envoy Steve Witkoff to “work toward achieving calm.” Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also spoke with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, reiterating that Saudi airspace or territory would not be used for attacks against Iran, a position mirrored by the UAE.
Both countries host U.S. military assets but have faced attacks in recent years, including the 2019 strike that halved Saudi oil production and Houthi attacks on the UAE in 2022. Iran also targeted Qatar’s Al Udeid Air Base last year after U.S. airstrikes on Iranian nuclear sites.
Araghchi stressed that diplomacy must replace threats. “Negotiations must be conducted on an equal footing, based on mutual respect, and for mutual benefit,” he said.
Human Rights Activists News Agency reported at least 6,221 deaths, including protesters, children, and civilians, with over 42,300 arrests since the unrest began on Dec. 28 following a sharp fall in the Iranian rial. Iran’s official figures remain far lower, citing 3,117 deaths and labeling many victims as “terrorists.”
The current unrest, the deadliest in decades, recalls the turmoil of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
24 days ago
US strike on Iran could have consequences in North Korea
The U.S. strike that killed Iran's top military commander may have had an indirect casualty: a diplomatic solution to denuclearizing North Korea.
6 years ago