T20 World Cup 2026
West Indies seek winning run to stay atop Group C against Nepal
A confident West Indies will look to continue their winning streak and stay on top of Group C when they take on a struggling Nepal in the ICC Men's T20 World Cup 2026 at the Wankhede Stadium on Sunday.
The Caribbean side has won both of its matches and leads the group with the best net run rate. Another win will strengthen their chances of finishing as group toppers, especially with a match against Italy coming up next. However, they are expected to stay cautious despite Nepal’s poor run so far.
Nepal, though yet to win in the tournament, have shown moments of resilience and could pose a surprise challenge. They also carry confidence from their 2-1 T20I series win over West Indies last September. But the team will be eager to bounce back after a heavy defeat to Italy in their previous match.
West Indies entered the tournament quietly after series losses to New Zealand, Afghanistan and South Africa. However, their strong performances here — including wins over Scotland and England suggest they have regained form at the right time.
Different players have stepped up in each match, pleasing head coach Daren Sammy. Aggressive batting from Shimron Hetmyer and the steady presence of Roston Chase have strengthened the middle order, while Sherfane Rutherford made a key impact against England.
However, their pace bowlers may face a challenge on Wankhede pitches, which have favoured spinners in recent matches.
Zimbabwe stun Australia by 23 runs in T20 World Cup
Nepal, meanwhile, must recover from their 10-wicket loss to Italy and improve both batting and bowling plans. Their spin attack, led by Sandeep Lamichhane, will need better execution after questionable decisions in the last game.
Although Nepal’s chances of reaching the Super Eight look slim after two losses, the team still has pride and momentum to fight for as they seek their first T20 World Cup win since 2014.
With inputs from NDTV
7 days ago
How a phone call ruined Siraj’s holiday but saved India
His bags were practically packed for Germany. His itinerary included a dream stop in Spain to watch Real Madrid play on February 15. He had even told the national team trainer not to disturb him.
Yet, in a twist of fate that scripts are made of, Mohammed Siraj found himself not in a European stadium stand, but steaming in at the Wankhede, spearheading India’s World Cup attack just 24 hours later.
The Indian pacer, who had originally planned to spend his time off with friends in Hyderabad and Europe, became the accidental hero in India's victory over the USA yesterday.
The dramatic turnaround began when pacer Harshit Rana was ruled out of the tournament due to injury just a day before the World Cup commenced. Siraj, who hadn't played a T20 International since July 2024, received a call that he initially thought was a prank.
“Suddenly Surya Bhai (Captain Suryakumar Yadav) called me. He said, ‘Get ready, pack your bags and come.” I said, 'Surya Bhai, don't joke, this isn't possible,’” Siraj recalled after the match.
The gravity of the situation only sank in when national selector Pragyan Ojha called immediately after to confirm the summons.
Pakistan survives collapse to beat Netherlands by 3 wickets in World Cup opener
With Jasprit Bumrah sidelined due to fever, the pressure on the sudden replacement was immense. However, Siraj rose to the occasion, defending India's total of 161 by claiming 3 wickets for 29 runs in his 4 overs.
Reflecting on the cancellation of his plans to watch Real Madrid on the 15th and the start of Ramadan, Siraj attributed the events to destiny.
“What God has written, no one can change. I came, I played the match, it was all pre-written,” he said.
13 days ago
Pakistan PM breaks silence saying India boycott is a ‘thoughtful decision’ to support Dhaka
Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has officially confirmed that their national cricket team will not take the field against India in the upcoming T20 World Cup, stating the decision was made to stand in solidarity with Bangladesh.
Addressing cabinet members in Islamabad on Wednesday, Sharif declared that “politics should not exist on the sports field.”
This is the first time the government has publicly articulated the specific reason behind the boycott, which was announced via social media last week.
“We have taken a very clear position on the T20 World Cup—we will not play the match against India,” Sharif told his cabinet. “We took this decision after much thought. We should fully stand by Bangladesh. I think this is a very appropriate decision.”
T20 World Cup: ICC rejects Bangladesh’s safe-venue request, includes Scotland
The diplomatic sporting row stems from the International Cricket Council's (ICC) decision to replace Bangladesh with Scotland in the tournament.
The Bangladesh government had refused to send their team to India citing security concerns, following threats from communal groups that led to pacer Mustafizur Rahman being dropped from the IPL on January 3.
While the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) requested a venue change to Sri Lanka, the ICC rejected the plea, labeling the threat against Mustafizur as “isolated.” Bangladesh’s Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul later said that neither the ICC nor the Indian government provided necessary security assurances.
ICC warns PCB of legal and financial fallout over India match boycott
Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) Chairman Mohsin Naqvi has supported Bangladesh throughout the process, criticizing the ICC for “double standards” regarding security protocols.
The T20 World Cup, co-hosted by India and Sri Lanka, begins on February 7. The India-Pakistan clash was scheduled for February 15 in Colombo.
The ICC has previously warned the PCB to “reconsider” the boycott, citing potential long-term implications for Pakistan cricket.
16 days ago
BCB rejects ICC’s plea to reconsider India tour to play T20 World Cup
The uncertainty surrounding Bangladesh’s participation in the upcoming T20 World Cup 2026 has deepened after a high-stakes video conference between the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and the International Cricket Council (ICC) ended without a breakthrough on Tuesday (January 13, 2026).
Despite the global body’s request to reconsider the boycott, the BCB remained firm in its decision not to travel to India, citing unresolved security concerns.
In the meeting held this afternoon, a BCB delegation led by President Aminul Islam and Chief Executive Nizam Uddin Chowdhury reiterated the board’s demand to relocate their matches to a neutral venue.
The ICC, however, highlighted the logistical rigidity of the tournament, noting that the itinerary has already been announced and urging the board to soften its stance.
BCB to continue ‘constructive engagement’ with ICC for T20 World Cup solution
“The Board’s position remains unchanged,” the BCB confirmed in a media release following the discussion. “The BCB reaffirmed its position regarding the decision not to travel to India... (and) reiterated its request for the ICC to consider relocating Bangladesh's matches outside India.”
This diplomatic deadlock comes just a day after Youth and Sports Adviser Asif Nazrul publicly slammed the ICC for what he termed an “absurd” security assessment.
Nazrul revealed that the ICC had identified pacer Mustafizur Rahman’s inclusion in the squad as a potential security risk—a claim stemming from the recent controversy where the Kolkata Knight Riders were allegedly forced to release the bowler due to “anti-Bangladesh” sentiment in India.
ICC to BCB: Play in India or forfeit points
While the ICC pressed for adherence to the schedule, the BCB emphasised that the safety of its players and staff remains paramount. Both parties agreed to continue discussions to find a “possible solution,” but with the board unwilling to compromise on its security demands and the ICC reluctant to alter the fixture list, the fate of Bangladesh’s World Cup campaign hangs in the balance.
1 month ago
BCB to continue ‘constructive engagement’ with ICC for T20 World Cup solution
The Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) on Wednesday (January 07, 2026) dismissed media reports claiming it had received an ultimatum from the International Cricket Council (ICC) regarding its participation in the upcoming T20 World Cup in India, and said it will continue ‘constructive engagement’ with ICC for T20 World Cup solution.
In an official statement issued on Wednesday, the board termed such reports as ‘completely false and unfounded,’ clarifying that the communication received from the global body was cooperative in nature.
The clarification comes amidst a deepening diplomatic and sporting crisis triggered by the exclusion of pacer Mustafizur Rahman from the IPL, which led Bangladesh to request a venue change for their World Cup matches from India to Sri Lanka citing security concerns.
Read more: ICC to BCB: Play in India or forfeit points
“The BCB categorically states that such claims (of an ultimatum) ... do not reflect the nature or content of the communication received from the ICC,” the media release read.
The board confirmed that the ICC has formally responded to Bangladesh's concerns regarding the safety and security of the national team.
According to the BCB, the ICC has reiterated its commitment to ensuring Bangladesh's ‘full and uninterrupted participation’ and has expressed a willingness to work closely with the board on detailed security planning.
The BCB emphasized that it would continue ‘constructive engagement’ with the ICC to reach an “affable and practical solution.”
This diplomatic tone comes as a slight shift from the hardline stance seen earlier in the week, where government officials had signaled a potential boycott of the tournament if the venue was not changed.
Read more: BCB eyes ICC intervention for World Cup security following Mustafizur’s IPL exit
However, the board reiterated that the safety and well-being of the players remain its ‘highest priority.’
1 month ago