Police continued searching Royal Lodge for a second day on Friday as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was released under investigation following his arrest on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
More unmarked police vehicles were seen arriving at the Windsor property, which is Andrew’s former residence, as officers pressed on with their inquiry. Police searches linked to the case have already ended in Norfolk but are ongoing in Berkshire, according to authorities.
Andrew was arrested on Thursday and held for around 11 hours before being released under investigation. This means he faces no restrictions on his movement while police continue their inquiries. He was later photographed returning to the Sandringham estate.
The arrest, first reported by the BBC, followed an assessment by Thames Valley Police of a complaint alleging that Andrew shared confidential material with late US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein during his time as a UK trade envoy.
Police sources said the investigation is not limited to a small number of emails already reported in the media and could involve a wider review of documents. Buckingham Palace has said it will cooperate fully with the investigation.
Andrew has previously denied any wrongdoing in connection with Epstein. He has not responded to specific BBC questions related to millions of Epstein-related documents released earlier this year. He has not been charged.
King Charles III, who was not informed in advance of the arrest, said he learned of the development with deep concern and stressed that the law must take its course.
Political reaction followed swiftly. UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer said no one is above the law, while opposition figures called for the police to be allowed to complete their work without interference.
Legal experts said a release under investigation is the least restrictive option available to police and is used when inquiries are at an early stage and further evidence gathering is required. Investigators may still question Andrew again as the probe continues.
Despite losing several royal titles last year, Andrew remains eighth in line to the British throne. Any change to that status would require an act of Parliament and the agreement of other Commonwealth nations.
Police have not given a timeline for completing the investigation.
With inputs from BBC